Thursday, January 14, 2010

The First Step

163 lbs.

I am an avoider. I don't like to balance my checkbook because I don't want to even know what's not there. If I think you're mad at me, it's easier for me to just hide. You can imagine, then, how I approach weighing.

Until the first week of the new year, it had been four months since I had stepped on a scale. Since those four months I got married, and went on an indulgent honeymoon.




Eating my way through Spain with Mr. W

Though I swore when I returned I would continue with the starvation, Alli sensible eating habits I'd practiced for two months pre-nupts that had delivered some success, I did not. I allowed myself to eat with total abandon everything spicy {jambalaya}, sour {candy!}, salty {chips & queso} and sweet {I really don't discriminate when it comes to sugar}of which I had deprized myself before the wedding. With every week that passed, I'd offer the same disclaimer to anyone watching my caloric collapse: Next week I'm going back on Weight Watchers.  I just never did.

"Next week" turned into 14 pounds.

Yes, there was Thanksgiving, and Christmas...but still. 14 pounds? A consistent weight gain at that rate would have me...well, I'm terrible with numbers, but in a short time it'd make me very over-weight. The Red Tent Report?? No thank you.

Getting on a scale consistently is never fun...but neither is going up jean size. It's a whole lot harder to drop pounds if you don't know how many you're holding. You have to weigh to track the consistencies in your your body's response to the changes you've made in your diet.

Weighing for some, myself including, is the hardest step to take towards whatever your weight loss goal is, but I think (after throwing out all the candy from your cabinets) it's the most important one. I wish I had gotten on at Pound 7 instead of at Pound 14.

Since facing reality I have been back on the scales. I'm happy to report progress. I'll share more about that next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment