Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weeks 1 & 2 - Good Fortune meets Bad Choices



162.4 lbs.

The photo above is of the fortune that came inside my cookie last night at dinner. By telling you this, you know that I ate Chinese food. It wasn't just steamed veggies, either...

I knew when I started this bite-by-bite account of dieting that I'd have to tell you about when I failed....I just didn't think it'd happen before the end of January.

Well..it has.

During Week 1, when I dropped down from 163 to 160.2 (average weight loss for me when I'm doing well is about 1 - 2 pounds a week) I started drafting a bragadocious blog about how easy this has been. It's true that while I stayed in the structure of my packed lunches and the safety of my own kitchen that I was not tempted to make bad choices. I ate non-stop....on grapes, rice cakes, apples and lean chicken!  Cheating meant two Hershey's Kisses after dinner. I have a sweet tooth that must be fed.

I was weighing every other day, on a scale that gives weight down to the ounce, and I was dropping ounces with each weigh-in. Things were going well.

Until this weekend.

Let me start by telling you my current weight: 162.4 pounds.

Now let me tell you how I got there (from 160.2) in a matter of days:

I went to Tennessee, and admittedly left my Weight Watchers Points Plan at home.

I hosted a baby shower. While I prepared the food, I snacked on everything. A bite of pimento cheese here, a quick taste of ice cream there. Oh, and there was cake. I had a piece.

I had some wine, too. Some = 3 glasses. I had this wine with two of my oldest friends and honestly, even if I knew it'd play a part in setting me back two pounds, I think I'd still have had it. (Or maybe I would have stopped at the second glass.) Sometimes it's worth it to indulge in your situation. I had such a fabulous time, I'd do it again. I'd just maybe not snack on chips, salsa and quesadillas, too. Some people smoke when they drink; I eat.

I also get hangovers. Oh, the perks of the 30's... I cure hangovers with carbs. So my medicine for a night on the town was a breaded pretezel and half a meatball sub from Mellow Mushroom, a bowl of spahgetti and a giant Sprite (not all at once....but still).  

Last night, Mr W (who has lost 7 pounds after making only marginial changes to his really terrible eating habits - life is so unfair!) and I ordered Chinese food. Why stop after a stellar 3-day weekend of binging? Though my portion was very small, I ate chicken fried rice, and two crab rangoons.  At this point, I'd already stepped on the scale to meet my 2-ish pound gain. So when I popped open my fortune, I felt it near divine.

"You will make change for the better"

I will make changes for the better because - wow - two pounds over a weekend? That easily explains 14 pounds over four months.


Time dieting: 2 weeks
Total weight lost to date: 12[dissappointing] ounces

No comments:

Post a Comment