Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Week 3 - The Full Plate Theory

159 lbs.

Success. Success at long last. Do you know how gratifying it is to be out of the 60's?? It's as gratifying as a cruise ship buffet, that's how gratifying. 

I must admit, I still cheated some last week. There were bites of ice cream and sips of wine on Saturday. Like the zippers in my too-tight pants, my will power is weak. I indulge on weekends. During the week, howevs, I'm on Points like no one's business.

I am - and will always - be a work in progess with this healthy lifestyle thing. That is when I'm not digressing, of course...(but I digress). Being structured does not come naturally to me.

Still, I may have discovered a little secret to what will work best as I aim not just for a balanced weight, but a balanced life....

Avoid having a full plate.

When it comes to being stretched, I'm already thin - my commute, my job, my family and friends, my house, the laundry, stealing time for just myself - managing it all is an exhausting challenge (especially for someone whose energy level is admittely low due to lack of excercise...). I don't think I'm unique to any other woman in this regard, in fact, compared to many I have a slight advantage - one husband on whom I can depend, zero children who depend on me!

This weekend, for the first time in 2010, I was not traveling. I had no committments to anyone. I got to sleep in, plan meals, take down the last of the Christmas decor (yes, really), clean, and search for pieces of clothing that have been hiding in my scary laundry room. I got to rest. And, if I had made excericse a priority there would have been time to go the gym. That's next week's challenge...

I'm discovering that every side dish on the plate that is my life contributes to my weight. When there is time to go to the grocery store, I have healthy food on hand. When there's a side of urgency, I order pizza. When the dishwasher is empty and the counters are clean, I get excited about cooking a low-fat meal. When there's a side of kitchen clutter, I order Chinese.  When I am not sporting some MSG bloat, I feel more attractive, so I take more time to do my face and hair, and feel better about myself. When there's a side of confidence, I want to savor every bite!

While some people celebrate at the finsih line of a 10k, I just count small victories - like knowing what I am going to cook Monday - Friday, or not feeling guilty if I turn down an invite to happy hour. With every battle I win - or at least fight - I feel like victory in the battle of my bulge becomes more sustaniable.

When you don't keep a full plate, it's easier to lose weight.

 
Time dieting: 3 weeks

Total weight lost to date: 4 pounds

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!! 4 pounds is a huge accomplishment when you look at the fact that you have a ft job, a commute, no access to personal trainers and a biggest loser kitchen stocked with organic veggies that you are not responsible to buy-etc. I watch the BL religiously and while I am in awe when they lose 10-20 pounds a week I always have to remind myself that they simply have more to lose and access to a million resources. You should be totally proud of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph about side dishes is so profound. I am serious. I actually have tears in my eyes. I hear some people say that they overeat when they are happy. I never understood that. I am happiest when I feel connected to my body. When I am connected to my body I taste everything. Even water tastes better to me. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed today and I think that I'm going to pour myself a cup of tea and sit in my favorite corner in the living room and do a little bit of mental housekeeping. Thanks for reminding me it is what is between my ears that will get me across the finish line.

    Warmest Wishes (from the 0 degree suburbs of Chicago),

    Denise Burks

    http://www.successfulweightlossinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete